Welcome to season 2, Counties! We're kicking off this season with a series on countertops. We'll hit quartz today, then we're onto laminate, recycled glass, and more.
Quartz is a hard, crystalline mineral composed of silicon and oxygen atoms. Quartz is the second most abundant mineral in Earth's continental crust, behind feldspar. Quartz is also called engineered stone (according to countertop guides). (WIKIPEDIA).
- Quartz countertops are only 95% quartz. The other 5% is a polymer resin.
- On the Mohs scale of hardness, quartz is a 7 out of 10
- Quartz countertops don't need to be resealed
- The Italian Company Breton SPA figured out how to press polymer resins into natural quartz to make it a viable kitchen countertop in the 1960s. To this day, Breton is a leading supplier of these types of materials.
- University of Minnesota Mineral Pages
- The Spruce
- MSI Surfaces
- Romer Skin Care (use code "COUNTER" at checkout for 15% off your order)
Daniel Tureck - sound
Caio Slikta - logo
Jason Shaw - Tennessee Hayride (theme music)
Email us: [email protected]
Find us on IG: @counterprogrammingpod